26.3.12

a surrealistic collage

So I was feeling a bit weird today, but instead of sleeping the day away (or studying), I decided to do something productive with my strange mood.

I love René Magritte. He was a Belgian painter that lived through both of the world wars and hanged with Dalí, Breton, Miró, Bunuel and other amazing people. I recently visited an exhibition in Vienna and was fascinated by the aesthetics and the philosophy behind his works, but mostly by the feel they were giving out.

My inspiration were:

Lovers by René Magritte
Infinite Gratitude (don't you love the title?), Magritte



What I did was wrap my head in a white chiffon I found in the garage, take a picture, print it, cut the part I wanted out and then make a collage. After I glued the things together I photographed it again and this is what came out:



I didn't want to make the exact copy of Lovers (and not only because I don't have a second person) but I went with the clouds and a mirror which are symbols Magritte used a lot. And the lettuce is just random.
It was fun to do and if I had any clear walls left in my room, I would hang the collage there.

Sincerely, Rapunzel

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE ARE

My photo
Best friends who are quite bored all the time and whose greatness and awesomeness is being ignored by society. Besides that, they love glittery makeup, things that shine in the dark or randomly fly in space, analogue photography, kitsune maison compilations, cats, dogs, and of course, alpacas. C'est ça.
Read the Printed Word!